Volunteers are a vital part of Urban Shield.
In 2017, nearly 5,000 volunteers participated in Urban Shield in a variety of ways. We anticipate the need for a similar number of volunteers for 2017. Here are some of the positions and roles that are filled by volunteers:
- Role Players: “actors” at the scenarios. You can play a terrorist, a hostage, bank robbers or the victim of a mass casualty, just to name a few of the roles played last year.
- Logistics: an event the size of Urban Shield needs many support personnel for data entry, supply, equipment runners, information tracking.
- Communications: emergency dispatchers, Ham Radio operators, information technology support are the infrastructure that link Urban Shield sites and officers.
- Final Event Assistance: banquet planning, setup and implementation at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds.
- Vendor Show: planning, setup and implementation at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds.
- Emergency Operations Center (Dublin, CA): clerical support and logistical support for the heart beat of the entire operation. This is where the top dogs make all the decisions for the multi-layered training exercise in a live action setting.
- Check-In Day: Friday, September 8, 2017 – This is where it all begins. The SWAT teams arrive and get their initial orientation, the vendors and VIPs arrive to meet and greet, and the role players are excited to get role-ing. Think: 3-ring circus in digi-cams and buzz cuts.
For further information use the contact form for Shannon Chao, Administrative Specialist II